jj Abrams movie U.S.S. Enterprise Model

jj Abrams movie U.S.S. Enterprise Model
WARP SPEED

Friday 5 October 2012




Star trek Enterprise model (AMT ERTL 1/537)

This is my second attempt at building one of these kits as the first one was about 20 years ago wasn’t very good and was in fact the special edition kit with light & sound effects, I am building another one which will be my pride and joy and is almost finished, so this one was sort of a test to see what was involved, I didn’t want to go to in detail with it and make everything accurate to the filming model but some things had to change as these kits have lots of inaccuracies, so I have used some DLM parts like the main deflector dish/ impulse engines and lower sensor unit parts, otherwise all the other changes are my own which are reshaping the VIP lounge windows and adding scale figures, I drilled out most of the windows like the officers mess and the arboretum which has miniature trees & rocks with figures to of course, the dome at the top of the bridge has been cut off sanded down and refitted, and I added to the top of the neck part where it joins to the bottom of the saucer section and impulse engines, two things that I wish that I should of done was to light up the blue warp engine grills and re-size the round docking ports, but I did install a circuit board to get the navigation lights to flash, the photon torpedo launcher is drilled out perhaps the DLM part would of looked much better but as this was a test model I can’t moan to much I suppose, I used a 4 pin surface mount screw type connector mounted onto a pole so the model is detachable from the base which houses the circuit board and 9v battery, the base is from a 1/18 scale die cast model car but I had the brass emblem made especially for it.
Once I get some pictures of the new one I will add them to and try to include a step by step album from start to finish.

Custom made brass emblem



Underside showing the connector & Arboretum windows




I forgot to resize the round docking ports.



The Arboretum


Can you see captain kirk & spock?

DLM impulse engine lit up.


1 comment: